Monday 22 June 2009

A Lesson In Love (1954)

A Lesson In Love (aka En lektion i kärlek)

This is one of Bergman's comedic films. Bergman is never exactly a master of comedy, sure there are funny moments in his films, but would I say he makes funny films? No, I wouldn't. While I liked this film and chuckled a couple of times, it certainly wasn't a laugh-out-loud funny movie.

Bergman teams up Gunnar Björnstrand and Eva Dahlbeck as another bickering married couple, and once again infidelity is the major problem. Doctor David (Björnstrand) has an affair with a younger woman to the upset of Marianne (Dahlbeck). On a train journey together David pleads with Marianne not to go through with their divorce, and their marriage is told in non linear flashbacks.

It's very hard to review this movie without the knowledge of the later films of Bergman that I have seen, because in some senses, this movie is like a test run of another that will arrive later. Having seen that later film I expected Björnstrand and Dahlbeck to be a joy to watch, but it was not as engaging as was that, or even Waiting Women. I think the problem lies with the source material- Bergman hasn't got the comedy/serious balance quite sorted yet.

There's one section of the film I really loved- the flashback to David's father's birthday. It was a lovely sequence of family life. It was very warm and charming. It reminded me of the family moments in Leo Tolstoy's book. I always find them quite charming.

Also for a 50's movie, it's surprisingly liberal! It's something an American mainstream film would never dream of daring to do! So hats off for that one, Ingmar.

Rating- 7/10

Top 5-
1) Waiting Women
2) Prison
3) Summer With Monika
4) A Lesson In Love
5) To Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment