Thursday 28 May 2009

Summer With Monika (1953)

Summer With Monika (aka Sommaren Med Monika)

It's been a while since my last review. I think it's because I ODed on Bergman films and needed a break. Well, the break has been taken and I'm back. Summer With Monika is one film I've seen before, and I think I may have enjoyed it a little more on second viewing. I think the first time I watched it I thought it may actually be a happy film (well, it did have 'Summer' in the title), but it isn't quite that.

Like characters from a Bruce Springsteen song, young couple Harry and Monika (Åke Fridell and the great Harriet Andersson) forsake their parents, their jobs and the city and escape into the country on a boat. The plot is spilt into thirds- before they go to the country, when they're in the country and life in the city again. The country section is the longest and probably the best. The directing is more more leisurely and relaxed than in the city. In the city scenes it's almost as if Bergman isn't quite as comfortably with the material.

The film is a clear realist piece, but Bergman breaks this in two shots towards the end of the movie and it makes quite the impact. Without wanting to give too much away (as this one shot is worth watching the film for) Monika turns and looks directly into the camera, and it holds her in close up for a good 20 seconds I should imagine. The context of it combination with the expression on Harriet Andersson's face make it so powerful. It's the best bit of the film.

A good film, good moments and Harriet Andersson is great.

Rating- 6/10

Top 5-
1) Waiting Women
2) Prison
3) Summer With Monika
4) To Joy
5) Music In Darkness

No comments:

Post a Comment